This project all started because of a birthday. See for these cushions my client was my boyfriend, B’s sister, S. We were all together for his birthday and she mentioned that she and her husband had just gotten a built in bench made and they were in search for how to have cushions made. B spoke up and asked if that was something I could make. Now I've never made a set of bench cushions before, but I knew that I could figure it out, because that is what I do ALL the time. So I said yes. After that easy start it was still a long time in the making, and not just because it was a big project!
S was having a really tough time deciding on a fabric for the cushions, she is admittedly very indecisive, and wouldn't you know it, when she does finally pick something, it is discontinued! Sadly there wasn’t enough yardage left to make a go of it. So the search was back on, she made her second choice a lot faster and then we just had to coordinate the hand off of the materials from her to me, since we live over an hour apart. Once I finally had all the goodies, I was excited to get to work, even if my cats wanted to get in the way!
As I mentioned I’d never made a set of bench cushions before, but figuring it out is one of the best parts of custom creations! Like most things in life, it isn’t the things you fret over that actually cause you problems, it is the things you didn’t think to worry about that give you trouble. Some of the parts that I was most worried about turned out to not be so bad after all. Like making piping, the hardest part turned out to be the math,to make sure I got enough contrasting fabric, and the layout for the bias strips! It was one of those things that is hard to understand until you just start making it. With a few false starts I eventually got it, and could really get moving on making the piping. I was perhaps more proud of myself than I should have been when I had finished it all!
The other part I was a little concerned about was sewing in a zipper since everyone seems to think it is super difficult but that also turned out to be no big deal in the end. The zipper foot is my new best friend! I now find myself wanting to make all kinds of things with zippers.
I will say that if we were just starting the project now, I would have pushed for three cushions, rather than one super big and one small. See this is where the things you didn’t think to worry about come up. The part that didn't occur to me to worry about was the shear weight of the fabric when you are making a cushion that is 80" long! That posed challenges on a lot of the steps, because I was always fighting gravity to keep the seams straight. And when you are attaching contrast piping your seams HAVE to be straight and tight.
In the end I finished the cushions and S loves them. I call that a win! I also made some coordinating items but that is a story for another day.
Live, make and learn!
If you want to see my latest creative solutions you should Subscribe!